How has your year begun? Have you set yourself a challenge, a resolution or some goals? Are you clear on how you will show up?
I know, I know, it’s February! Surely the time for setting goals has come and gone?
Rubbish! Who says? Who says you ‘should’ set goals on January 1?
Set your goals when you want to I say! Just make them meaningful, inspiring and powerful for you.
How will you Show Up?
Personally, I’m not a New Year resolution maker: I’ve had waaaaay too many failed attempts at them! But, in the quiet and slow time between Christmas and New Year’s Day, something I do find helpful is to ask myself: ‘How do I want to show up this year?’
I generally come up with one or two words or phrases or images that define the sort of me I want to focus on being and growing into. This year I’ve decided on:
- Embracing the suck of vulnerability and doing it anyway (It’s a Brene Brown phrase – I’ll share more about it with you later this year!)
- Owning my leadership roles
Set Yourself Up For Success
How you set yourself up for success and growth in this new year doesn’t really matter – choose a framework or process that suits you. And whether you set yourself up in January or February or even March, doesn’t really matter.
What matters, I think, is that you do something to set yourself up. Successful leaders are mindful, self-aware learners. They set themselves goals and then work deliberately, consciously, curiously and with great self-compassion toward achieving them.
If you want to be the best version of yourself this year, I encourage you to get clear on what that will look like and what it might require of you this year.
Get Clear with these Tips
- frame your intentions in the positive. That means stay away from words like: ‘stop…’ ‘give up…’
- spend time thinking about and visualising the end result – your brain likes to know and see what it’s working toward.
- use words/language/images that inspire you and are meaningful to you – no-one else needs to make sense of your intentions
- keep revisiting, refining, adding depth to and re-setting your intentions … all year long…
- be kind to yourself, have fun, acknowledge your achievements
And finally, when you are clear on how you want to show up this year, why not drop me a line and let me know?